Monday, October 26, 2015

Writing Exercise- First Person Free for All

I am taking Jeff Goins TribeWriters course and one of the first exercises is in finding our writing voice. We were supposed to do a free writing exercise in the first person. This is what I came up with:



I am a mother, I am a wife, I am a friend, I am a daughter, I am a sister. I am me. Sometimes I lose sight of that last one.

I am a dreamer, I am a realist, I am opinionated, and I love to learn. I am eclectic, I am passionate, I am creative, and I refuse to be stopped.

And yet... I am scared, I am alone, I am beating my head against a brick wall.

I don't want to chase the almighty dollar, but I've got to keep the children fed. I am a blogger, a saleswoman, an editor, a book cover designer, a layout editor, a copywriter, a hundred jobs, most of which don't pay the bills.

I write, I fight, I resist the urge to take flight to a world with less struggle and heartbreak.

I am a balancing act, a conundrum, and waiting to either fall or fly high.


I. Am. An. Author.



Now the key to this exercise is to ask you, the reader, what you think. Let me know in the comments below:

What do you think makes this unique?
What can I do more of?
What can I do less of?
How can I improve?

No comments:

Post a Comment