Friday, March 27, 2015

Poetry Corner: Warhol's Campbell Soup

What a crazy thing to paint.
Warhol's Campbell's Soup Can
A Campbell's soup can,
the logic is so faint.

So why wasted the man,
his talents of artistic splendor
on painting a soup can, I wonder?

It's not even the colors I'm used to.
The style is not all that grand.
The work is good, it's true,
The man's got a leg to stand.

But why paint a soup can?


This was a writing exercise, and you can guess what it was. Looking at art and writing the poetry it inspired. For some of these I am quite inspired, but Andy Warhol (I know, I must be an uncultured heathen!!) never inspired me to do more than ask a lot of questions. Questions like "How is that not copyright infringement? Who would pay for "art" like this? And the ever prevalent thought: What combination of drugs inspired this madness?"

But it was for high school creative writing.

What do you think of Andy Warhol's work? Leave a note in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment