Friday, April 3, 2015

Fresh Meat: Character Introduction: The Trio

The Trio are based on my real best friends throughout high school.  They were the most wonderful boon when I was thrown to the wind and dragged to live in a state that I knew nothing about. They quickly corrected the misconceptions I had about the South. They were smart, kind, quirky, and made that four years of mostly hell bearable.
The Three Musketeers by SacredLugia on DeviantArt

Misty was the little bookworm, like me, and we would talk forever about our latest reads.

Jill was the tomboy, practicing martial arts and ready to kick everyone's ass.

April was the preacher's daughter and accepting of my morals, if not always my religion.

Sadly, we have lost touch over the years. We are all Facebook friends, and I was so proud when one published a book a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they are much like other people who you accept friend requests from that you haven't seen much since high school. Every now and again I see a post, but I don't know the context, am not really a part of their lives.

The book is a work of fiction and so very few of the interactions between the friends actually happened, but they are in the spirit of who we were and how our friendship worked. I had other friends throughout high school, but most of them get relegated to the personality of the trio who they fit most, because a reader would have difficulty keeping all of those "side characters" straight. But these three wonderful women were worthy of representing all of my friends who helped me through the most traumatic experience of my life and helped me forge the mettle to be strong enough not only to survive, but to thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment