Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Poetry Corner: Teenage Dreams

It's not enough to have a dream,
unless I'm willing to pursue it.

It's not enough to know what's right
unless I'm strong enough to do it.

It's not enough to join the crowd,
to be acknowledged and accepted.

I must be true to my ideas,
even if I am left out and rejected.

It's not enough to learn the truth,
unless I also learn to live it.

It's not enough to reach for love
 unless I care enough to give it.


I wrote this my senior year of high school, and the words still ring true to me today. I have spent the last five years years really working toward my writing career. I have been writing ever since first grade. I always dreamed of being a writer, but dreaming and scribbling wasn't enough. It has never been easy, but I keep pushing and pursuing it.

Each of these are lessons I have taught my children as well. It is amazing how these key truths have continued on in my life. Sometimes I look back on the work I have done and wonder how I ever thought it was good, and sometimes I look back and think "Wow, that was pretty insightful."


What do you think of this poem?

Share in the comments below.

Until next time,

Keep Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment