Friday, January 23, 2015

The Maze Runner: Thoughts Pre-book review

So this is a thing I am going to start doing, as my new years resolution is to post three times a week, and post more reviews. I was hoping that the reading I did while out for surgery, combined with other posts would keep me going for awhile, alas here I am with a new post and no book review!
 Unfortunately, my time is being very thinly stretched between writing, book promotion, family, my full-time job and life in general (What was I thinking!) and I realize even between reading with the kids and reading on my lunch breaks there is no way that I will be able to read one book a week! Especially as some of the books I have been reading just haven't "grabbed me" as I had hoped. Something about age, but it is harder to make oneself read all night unless the book is just super compelling.

So, we are going to do check-ins on the books I am reading for review before the actual review is posted. This week is The Maze Runner. My boys got the box set for Christmas after seeing the trailer at The Mocking Jay. They seemed really excited. Despite starting the book on New Years day, we are only on chapter 11... less than 1/3 of the way into the book....


I am not drawn in, and apparently neither are my boys. Usually as soon as dinner and chores are done they are hounding me to read. They typically push me to keep reading past the bedtime hour, and guiltily I will give them "just one more chapter."

We haven't gotten there with this book. At first I thought "It's just a slow start. World building and all that," but we are on page 72 here.... and we know what is happening because of the trailer. There is no anticipation. We kind of feel like we already know.

Throw us some suspense, please, or this is going to be a VERY long read!!!
Have any of you read The Maze Runner by James Dashner? What are your thoughts? Does it pick up? Let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment